Are You Suffering From Knee Pain? You don’t realize how much you use your knees until one of them becomes hurt.
Learn the 3 Most Common Causes of knee pain and How to Resolve Them Fast
The source of knee pain is often hard to place, being the result of a few possible injuries, and can often leave you sidelined for weeks and sometimes months.
Whether you are a runner, a soccer player, or active in any number of sports that require you to use your legs for an extended period of time, you have likely suffered from this condition often if not chronically.
Fortunately with the correct diagnosis, time, rest, and a proper method of treatment, the condition can be resolved quickly and in some cases resolved for good.
Learn the top 3 Causes of knee pain:
1. Runner’s Knee: While most common in runners (hence the name) this injury can afflict athletes in a variety of sports. Runner’s knee is the result of overuse and becomes painful because the cartilage under your knee, the chondromalacia patella, begins to wear down. This pain tends to worsen when you’re running, climbing stairs, kneeling, or even squatting and can often last for months.
2. Tendinitis: This injury is characterized by a sharp pain on top of your knee cap along with swelling and stiffness of the knee and is most common in sports that involve jumping (like basketball or volleyball). Fortunately, this condition is often self-treatable and resolves within days or weeks if you rest and treat your knee properly. The Patellar tendon, the tendon connecting the kneecap to the shinbone, is typically where the injury resides.
3. Knee Cartilage Tears: The cartilage affected by this injury include the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), and the medial collateral ligament (MCL). This particular injury is more serious in nature and often requires prolonged treatment, months of rest, and even surgery. A ligament tear can occur as a result of quick movements, swift impact, or extreme overuse and the pain is often characterized by swelling, sharp pain, and instability of the knee.
Quickly Resolving Knee Pain Treatments:
Any sign of knee pain requires immediate attention and a visit to your healthcare provider before any effective treatment can commence, especially if you suffer from runner’s knee or have signs of a torn ligament.
However, as with any injury, there is an immediate process you can employ to resolve the issue at a much quicker rate.
Common ways to treatment acute knee injuries
1. Don’t Make This Common Mistake. Most athletes dismiss knee pain and keep going, DO NOT DO THIS. The quickest way to prolong your time on the bench is to prolong the time between diagnosis and treatment of an injured knee. While muscular pain is typically a quick fix, tendons and ligaments require more immediate attention. Your knee is comprised of mostly ligaments and tendons, so act quickly.
2. Ice Your Knee: Although this step is obvious, it is often misunderstood how to go about the icing process. Typically, you want to ice your knee immediately after use and for the first few days after the injury develops. Icing serves to reduce swelling and pain in the knee.
3. Use Heat: An effective method for quickly eliminate pain and speed recovery is to take a warm bath, often for a few days or weeks after the injury. The warm water will open up your blood vessels and allow blood to saturate you wound with oxygen and nutrients for recovery.
4. Compression: This step is necessary for whenever you have to use your knee whether it be for walking, climbing stairs, etc. and also because compression often saturates the injury area with blood so the tendons or ligaments have more nutrients for recovery.
Knee related injuries are typically the trickiest to treat but if you adhere to these steps you can effectively relieve knee pain and quickly return to an active lifestyle. Connect with a Downtown Vancouver physiotherapy clinic to have your knee accessed properly.
Knee injuries can be difficult to determine the severity of so it is important that you see a qualified physiotherapist
to understand the state of your injury and the best routine to follow for a knee injury vancouver. Urban Active physiotherapy clinic to speak to them about your knee pain.