close
close
LIVE updates on missing Jay Slater in Tenerife as search reaches tragic milestone

LIVE updates on missing Jay Slater in Tenerife as search reaches tragic milestone

LIVE updates on missing Jay Slater in Tenerife as search reaches tragic milestone

The desperate search for missing teenager Jay Slater in Tenerife continues today.

The 19-year-old, from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, went missing on the Spanish island on the morning of June 17. Today the search reached a tragic milestone as it marked three weeks since he was last seen. The desperate search to find him today enters its fourth week.




Jay was on holiday with friends Lucy Law, 18, and Brad Hargreaves, 19, and had been partying at Papagayo nightclub in Playa de las Americas the night before he went missing. He left the club with two British men – one named Ayub Qassim, 31, known by the nickname “Johnny Vegas” – and a second unnamed man – to head to their Airbnb accommodation near the remote village of Masca in the north of the island. Jay left the Airbnb on Monday morning.

READ NEXT: TV detective Jay Slater’s theory on the “real reason” a teenager “didn’t want to wait to be taken back” to his Tenerife apartment

At around 8.30am he called Lucy to tell her he was in the middle of nowhere, trying to get home with no water and 1% battery on his mobile phone. His last known location was in the Teno Rural Park in the north of the Canary Islands, which was about 11 hours walk from his accommodation in Los Cristianos.

Qassim, who was jailed nine years ago for masterminding a plan to flood Wales with class A drugs, said Jay “arrived at the Airbnb alive and left the Airbnb alive”. Spanish police have deemed both men to be of no relevance to their missing persons investigation.

On Sunday, former Metropolitan Police officer Mark Williams-Thomas said the disappearance in Tenerife had links to an “established criminal network”. Read what he said in full here. Earlier this week, Williams-Thomas, who was in Tenerife, said the teenager had allegedly “stolen a £12,000 Rolex” before disappearing and was “scared” when he left the property.

The TV detective also said he had spoken to Qassim, who allegedly revealed to him that the morning after the party in Playa de las Americas he offered to give Jay a lift back. Revealing the “real reason” why Slater allegedly refused a lift later that day, the former Metropolitan Police detective added: “Qassim told him ‘Relax mate, I’ll drop you off later when I wake up’, but he said Jay told him: ‘No, I need something to eat, I’m hungry’.”

The Airbnb where Jay stayed the night before he disappeared(Image: (Image: PA Images))

Over the weekend, journalists at the scene said they had found “eerie signs of life” in the ravine where Jay disappeared. The teenager’s devastated family, including his mother Debbie, father Warren Slater and older brother Zak, remain in Tenerife as they continue to search for answers about his disappearance.

Jay’s uncle, Glen Duncan, said it was “baffling” that Spanish police had said the British men Jay was staying with at the Airbnb had no relevance to the investigation.

Jay and his mom Debbie

The family are said to be desperate for Spanish police to deploy drones and other equipment over the Teno Rural park, where their mobile phone was last detected. A source told the Sun: “They are desperate to be granted permission which will allow them to use the specialist equipment they have identified.

“They have been talking to experts who have suggested things that could help, such as tracking equipment (using radar), drones and equipment that can also help at night.”

Spanish police suspended their on-the-ground search for Jay on June 30 after nearly two weeks of searching for the teenager in a vast, mountainous terrain. Police said officers would continue to act on any leads or other information they received, but would cease active work that has been underway since the apprentice bricklayer was reported missing.

Follow all the latest updates and developments in our live blog below.

Read more of today’s top stories here


Full video update from TV detective and former cop

You can watch Mark Williams-Thomas’ full update on Jay’s disappearance in the video below.

The former detective has been helping Jay’s family in Tenerife, but is not part of the official Spanish police investigation.

A friend of Jay debunks a major theory about Tenerife circulating on social media

One of Jay’s friends responded to conspiracy theories circulating on social media.

Brad Hargreaves was one of Jay’s friends who travelled with him to Tenerife to attend the NRG music festival, and found himself targeted by internet trolls who sent him insults.

Brad told his Instagram followers that those who think he had anything to do with Jay’s disappearance “don’t get it.” He told those who are creating their own theories about what happened to Jay that they “need to know the facts before they spew nonsense on the internet.”

Read the full story here.

Photos of Jay’s family searching for him on Saturday

Jay’s family members, including his father Warren and brother Zak, organized their own search near Masca on Saturday, with the help of volunteers.

Jay’s father Warren, his brother Zak and another friend pictured on Saturday.(Image: Stan Kujawa)

A search was organized on Saturday.(Image: Stan Kujawa)

Jay’s father looking for Saturday(Image: Stan Kujawa)

Teenager’s disappearance has links to an ‘established criminal network’, says TV detective

A former police officer has revealed a new timeline of Jay Slater’s movements in Tenerife and said he discovered a link to an “established criminal network”.

News that the disappearance has gangland connections was broken by TV detective Mark Williams-Thomas, who flew to Tenerife to help find Jay, and said further investigation had opened up an established criminal network with links to drugs, violent crime and robbery.

In a video posted on X, he said:

“As part of this investigation, we have attempted to speak to all the people that Jay had contact with during his time in Tenerife. The outcome of this investigation has uncovered an established criminal network with links to drugs, violent crime and theft. At this stage I am unable to expand further on the information we now have.

“I can’t say if this network has anything to do with Jay’s disappearance, but I’m keeping an open mind as we continue to investigate.”

Read the full story here.

Jay’s uncle says a decision made by Spanish police left him “bewildered from day one”

Glen Duncan spoke of his devastation at the disappearance of 19-year-old Jay.

He also questioned why the two men staying at an Airbnb where Jay was last seen were declared irrelevant by Spanish police so quickly.

Mr Duncan said:

“It baffled me from day one. How can you say they’re not relevant when they’re two of the last people to see him alive?

“It doesn’t make sense. I can’t understand it. It’s like one of you disappears now and lets the rest of you go home and says we don’t care.”

“It’s a big disappointment. He’s one of them too. I don’t want to beat them up. I can’t step on their toes.”

Read the full story here.

Jay’s mother says the family has been “overwhelmed by the kindness and support”

In an update on the Go Fund Me page set up to support the family and search for Jay, his mother Debbie said they have been “overwhelmed by the kindness and support.”

She posted an update on the page on Saturday. So far, more than £51,000 has been raised in the fundraiser.

Debbie said:

“Hi everyone, I wanted to give you an update on our continued efforts to find our Jay.

“We have been overwhelmed by the kindness and support we have received and would like to thank the local walking group for all their help in planning routes to find our Jay.

“A wonderful group of locals have contacted us and have volunteered to continue the search.

“While they do not wish to accept financial assistance for their search, we will support them with supplies and are very grateful for their willingness to help.

“We also continue to receive contacts from experienced groups offering to support our search.

“We are busy talking to them about what they can do to help.

“But in order for us to be able to use their help, they need permission from the Spanish authorities.

“We will be sure to keep you all informed of our progress and are very grateful for your continued support in bringing our boy home.

“Please continue to share and support our fundraiser in any way you can.”

TV Detective Talks About The Real Reason Jay Didn’t Want To Wait To Be Driven Back To His Apartment

Jay Slater left the Airbnb where he spent the night before he disappeared “because he was hungry,” a television detective has claimed.

Mark Williams-Thomas told reporters he interviewed a man who drove with Slater to a rented property in Masca after meeting him in Playa de las Americas in the south of the island.

Jay is said to have been driven to Masca by Ayub Qassim, 31, known by the nickname ‘Johnny Vegas’, and a second unnamed man, who Spanish police consider irrelevant to their missing person investigation.

Revealing the “real reason” Jay allegedly refused a lift later that day, the former Metropolitan Police detective said: “Qassim told him: ‘Easy there mate, I’ll drop you off later when I wake up’, but he said Jay said: ‘No, I need something to eat, I’m hungry’.”

Mark Williams-Thomas(Image: Stan Kujawa)

Read the full story here.

The nine theories that devastate Jay’s family in Tenerife after the conspiracy was dismissed

The case has been dogged by vicious conspiracy theories circulating online and spreading rampantly on social media, many of which are unproven and unsubstantiated.

Those closest to Jay have spoken of how damaging it has been to read the comments that have gone viral on the internet, with one of Jay’s best friends, who travelled to Tenerife, dismissing one particular theory.

After more than two weeks on the ground covering the search for Jay in Tenerife, the Manchester Evening News reviews nine widely discussed theories, the information that has emerged about them so far, and how these conspiracies have affected his family.

Read the full story here.

Jay has been missing for exactly three weeks

Jay disappeared in Tenerife exactly three weeks ago.

The 19-year-old, from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, went missing on the Spanish island on the morning of June 17.

Since then, a desperate search has been underway to find the teenager.

Spanish police have suspended their on-the-ground search, although Jay’s family remains in Tenerife and volunteers continue to look for him.