Jay Slater missing – latest: Teenager’s mother says search is ‘no holiday’ in fervent response to trolls

Exploring the isolated Tenerife landscape of Jay Slater’s last known location

The mother of missing Jay Slater has issued a passionate response to trolls who have questioned the spending of money raised for the search.

In a post on the official Jay Slater Missing Facebook group, Debbie Duncan said: “My beautiful son Jay is still missing and believe me this is no holiday.”

Ms Duncan flew out from the family home in Lancashire to Tenerife to join the search with her family after the 19-year-old went missing on 17 June.

Nearly £50,000 has been raised on a GoFundMe page to find the teenager, and the money will be used to support searches, paying for accommodation, equipment and other essentials.

After some questioned the spending of money, Ms Duncan responded on Facebook.

“For those of you who are most concerned about the Gofundme page I can assure you that up to now it has not been used and our stay up to now has been financed by ourselves,” she said.

Mr Slater had attended the NRG music festival on the Canary Island on Sunday June 16, before he went back to an AirBnb around an hours drive from the festival with two men he had met.

He left the property early on Monday morning and called his friend at 8.50am to say that he was lost in the Rural de Teno park with no water and only had one per cent battery on his phone

1720170212

Jay’s mother hits back at trolls

Last week, the mother of missing Briton Jay Slater said donations reaching almost £50,000 will be used to support volunteers helping to find her son in Tenerife.

Debbie Duncan wrote that part of the funds will be used to support volunteers hunting for Mr Slater in the mountains near where his last phone call was traced.

But it appears she’s coming under attack from trolls over her spending.

In response, in a Facebook post posted on an official Facebook page for the search, she said: “It seems through no fault of my own that you have all decided to make up your own minds.

“It is really sad I have felt the need to do this. My beautiful son Jay is still missing and believe me this is no holiday. He came on his first holiday to Tenerife to attend the NRG music event.

“We as a family are truly devastated.”

She added: “For those of you who are most concerned about the GoFundMe page I can assure you that up to now it has not been used and our stay up to now has been financed by ourselves.

“I do have proof of transactions and transfers to other persons but I should not have to justify this. “So you can make up your own minds.”

Debbie Duncan with Jay Slater
Debbie Duncan with Jay Slater (Supplied)

Alex Ross5 July 2024 10:03

1720165007

‘I’ve been living off BBQ Doritos and Appletisers’

With some still searching for Jay Slater in Tenerife, we spoke to one, TikToker and hiker Callum Fahim, who has been on his own personal search for the past two weeks.

“The most sleep I’ve had is about two hours because I have to plan all the routes overnight,” he said.

“I haven’t been able to eat properly; I’ve been living off BBQ Doritos and Appletisers.

Read Barney Davis’ interview here:

Alex Ross5 July 2024 08:36

1720159200

Full story: Jay Slater could still be alive ‘drinking rainwater and eating plants’, detective says

A private investigator has urged Jay Slater’s family “not to give up hope”, claiming the missing teenager could still be alive “drinking rainwater and eating plants”.

His disappearance sparked huge national interest and a huge search operation but following a 13-day search, the Spanish Civil Guard called off its operation on Sunday.

However, private investigator and army reservist Juan García, 53, said it was too early to stop the search.

Read the full story below:

Athena Stavrou5 July 2024 07:00

1720155600

Jay Slater’s dad wonders if son was making his way to sea

Jay Slater’s father Warren, 58, has been searching for a trail at Jay’s last known location at Rural de Teno Park on Wednesday.

Asked if he thinks Jay may have been heading towards the sea, which was visible in the distance, Warren told the Manchester Evening News: “Maybe”.

“I’ve done this trail twice now. Every step I’ve taken there’s been an opening. If you land on one of those cacti, you’re not moving. “Surely somebody’s gonna find you after two weeks.”

Speaking about the area below him, he said: “It’s hundreds of square feet of this little bushy stuff. You can’t explain this to somebody unless they see it. You can take a photograph or film it, but until you’re here…”.

(Sky News)

Athena Stavrou5 July 2024 06:00

1720152000

Jay knew men whose AirBnb he went back to ‘through friends’

The man whose AirBnb Jay Slater visited before disappearing said they knew each other through friends.

Ayub Qassim is believed to be one of two men who invited Jay Slater back to their holiday accommodation in Masca in the early hours of Monday morning.

Jay left the Airbnb at around 8am but having missed the bus back down to his own accommodation in Playa de Las Americas, he attempted an 11-hour journey through the remote and challenging terrain of Rural de Teno park.

Mr Qassim said Jay left the house “alive” and said he knew Jay “through friends”.

“I know Jay, through friends, I’m not going to bring anyone back to mine if I don’t know them,” he told the MailOnline. “I don’t know if he had beef elsewhere because I don’t know him that well, I only know him through friends.”

He added: “He’s a cool guy, Jay. He ain’t got a problem with me, I haven’t got a problem with him or his mates. “We just all talked to each other and everything was sweet.”

Athena Stavrou5 July 2024 05:00

1720146600

Forensic officers spotted inside AirBnb rental property

Forensic officers were spotted at the AirBnb in Masca on Tuesday, the Manchester Evening News reports.

Two police officers were seen inside the holiday rental apartment where Jay stayed the night before his disappearance. The men, who were both wearing plain clothes, exited the property shortly after 11am wearing forensic style blue slip-ons over their shoes.

They were then seen taking the slip-ons off before speaking to a local, who had let them into the property with a key.

The Airbnb Casa Abuela Tina in Masca which Jay Slater travelled to (James Manning/PA) (PA Wire)

Athena Stavrou5 July 2024 03:30

1720141200

Friends told Jay Slater ‘head back to AirBnb’ before disappearance

A TV detective investigating Jay Slater’s disappearance has said the teenager was told by friends to head back to an AirBnB where he had stayed the night before he went missing.

Mark Williams-Thomas – who also investigated Nicola Bulley’s disappearance – has been assisting Jay’s family in their search for the 19-year-old in Tenerife.

Jay seemingly left Veronica’s party strip in the south of the island in the early hours of Monday morning with two men he had met, before taking an hour-long drive to

They travelled an hours-long drive back to their holiday accommodation in Masca, which Jay left several hours later and having missed the bus, attempted to walk 11 hours back towards his own accommodation.

Mr Williams-Thomas highlighted Jay’s strange decision to embark on the walk through challenging terrain rather than return to the AirBnb.

He said: “He was told to go back to the rental. He said he couldn’t do that and that he had already been walking for 30 minutes and that he was now off the road and walking on a track, where there were loose stones.”

Athena Stavrou5 July 2024 02:00

1720137600

The vanished of Tenerife: Other people who disappeared on the island where Jay Slater went missing

From the party vibes of the neon-lit strip of Playa De Las Americas to the spiritual hikes across cactus-infested ravines in the heat, there is something for everyone.

Athena Stavrou5 July 2024 01:00

1720134060

Man whose AirBnb Jay Slater went back to breaks silence

The man who invited Jay Slater back to his AirBnb before he disappeared has broken his silence.

The 19-year-old went missing after he left the holiday accommodation early on Monday morning to catch a bus back towards his own accommodation on the other side of the island.

Ayub Qassim invited Jay back to the remote holiday cottage near the village of Masca after a night out in Playa de las Americas.

“He came to my Airbnb alive and he left my Airbnb alive,” he told the MailOnline.

He added: “I let the geezer stay at mine because he had nowhere else to go, his friends had all left him. I know Jay, through friends, I’m not going to bring someone back to mine if I don’t know them.

“I’m doing the geezer a favor and now my face is all over the news. It’s a bit mental. “I haven’t even done anything.”

He insisted that they had no argument and he had even given Jay a blanket to sleep in. He and his friend – who was also staying at the AirBnb – extended their trip for a day to speak with police before travelling back to the UK.

Spanish police have described the pair as “irrelevant” to the investigation.

(James Manning/PA Wire)

Athena Stavrou5 July 2024 00:01

1720128645

Jay Slater is a ‘normal guy’ with a large group of friends, says family

In an emotional statement, his family described him as a “beautiful” boy who had been studying for an apprenticeship at the time he disappeared.

They said: “My son, Jay Dean Slater, came to the holiday island of Tenerife on 13 June with his friend to attend a music festival.

“On June 17, after not returning to his apartment, he was reported as a missing person.

“Jay is a normal guy who is in his third year of an apprenticeship, and he is a very popular young man with a large circle of friends.

“We are a very close family and are absolutely devastated about his disappearance.

“Words cannot describe the pain and agony we are experiencing. He is our beautiful boy with his whole life ahead of him and we just want to find him.”

Athena Stavrou4 July 2024 22:30